Monday 30 November 2020



"Piece of Free" (after Covid 19 came.......)

Outside my bedoom window
There grows a nesting tree
The branches thick and shelter
The fledgling family
I hear the pigeon calling
He claims his territory
I feel a tinge of envy-
He's got his piece of free

All round our towns and hamlets
The atmosphere is strange
The silence is unnerving
The very air is changed
The streets are bare and empty
The pavements cold and still
No pitter-patter, chitter-chatter
Even birds have ceased their trill


What stalks these roads and sidings?
What taints the very air?
So small it needs no hiding
And no-one knows it's there
For safety's sake I stay at home
My friends I must not see
And here, nor there, I may not roam
I've lost my piece of free

The days of rove and ramble
For now, are just a dream
As normal life's a gamble
Under the lockdown scheme
We'll bide our time and prospect
The wind will shift - the fog will lift
Return our piece of free.....


No comments:

Post a Comment